Monday, August 16, 2010

Delicious Green Smoothie for Breakfast

This is how I like to start  and end my day.  A nice tall glass of Green Smoothie.  I'm sure you may be looking at this and trying not to gag, but this drink is absolutely delicious.  I first heard about Green Smoothies about 2 years ago when I decided to become a Rawist (eat raw food) for awhile to detox my body.  It wasn't an extremely difficult transition for me since I've been a vegetarian my entire life.  Unfortunately, I'm also anemic and never really had a lot of protein in my diet (I have "0" muscle tone). 
Green leafy vegetables are extremely  low in calories and loaded with antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium (I don't drink milk, ugh), Iron (yay!) and of course fiber (double yay!).  I like to make my smoothie like a frozen desert.  I start with some bananas, then add strawberries, a generous scoop of whey protein and a several handfuls of spinach.  Spinach is really cool because, raw, it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor so it tends to take on the flavor of whatever fruit you add to it.  Dump in some ice sometimes a spoonful or two of honey and there you have it!  A nice healthy, totally delicious drink.

2 comments:

  1. I tried making one with Kale, strawberries, ice, and pineapple...Not good! LOL But I think I will try your recipe because I am determined to make these a part of my regular diet. Thanks for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I tried it with Kale to at first. I managed to get about half of it down, lol. Now I just stick with the spinach. It's soooooo much better!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails